Friday 5 May 2017

1 Poem by Paul Ilechko

Origami Flowers

If I knew how, I would make origami
flowers. I would take a sheet of paper,
and, with clever folds and cuts, a bunch
of roses, or lilacs, might appear.

My recent years have been bookended
by roses. Firstly, by a sprawling growth
of wild white roses, white as fresh snow.
Each summer, extensive pruning was
required, leaving me scratched and bloodied.

And now, in my current life, my tiny
garden is a constant source of colorful
delight. Each season plays its part, but
summer roses must be the highlight.

But still … if necessary, I could leave
all this behind. I could leave the color
and aroma of my flower garden,
just so long as those paper blooms, those
folding miracles, could be retained.


Bionote

Paul Ilechko was born in England but has lived most of his life in the USA. He currently lives in Lambertville, NJ with his girlfriend and a cat. Paul has had poetry published by Elderly Magazine, Ibis Head Review, the Peacock Journal and Scarlet Leaf Review.


No comments:

Post a Comment